11.01.2007

off to school - camping style

I am off to Indianola, IA, for the weekend to attend the first weekend of the School for Lay Ministries. This weekend is kind of an introduction to the coursework and a workshop on reconstructing the church. I have been reading the material for the first class, and it is really good. Its all about shifting paradigms and how the church is (or, more likely, is not) keeping up. It is all stuff that I have discussed with former church folks and roommates, but to read a fresh perspective and to go to meet with others to discuss it is exciting.

I have chosen to camp for the weekend. I borrowed a tent and a sleeping bag from our pastor (not Josh, Doug) and a nice sleeping pad that he thought might just keep me alive in the Iowa November night. We all have the option of hotels for the weekend, and seeing as how I consider sleeping in cushy beds and eating nice meals while discussing culture, poverty and church action to be somewhat hard to digest, I thought this might be a better way of experiencing the weekend for myself.

Plus, my family doesn't camp, so this is a great opportunity to retreat for myself. I am looking forward to some food and conversation, some study and prayer, and some quiet time with my thoughts and my really cold little toes.

I will have a full report next week (give or take a week or two).

No comments: